Friday, June 21, 2013

What is effective teaching... Post 2

Today, I am sharing the thoughts of two faculty members here at Lesley.

Steve Yurek, the Associate Director of the Center for Mathematics Achievement, is a former high school teacher.  Steve taught at the high school level for 38 years and now teaches in the M.Ed in Mathematics Education (1-8) program here at Lesley University.  Here are his thoughts, complete with a video:

 "There are so many factors that encompass effective teaching that to mention one may seem to de-emphasize any of the others, but the reality is that we are all different, so we may favor one technique or strategy over another, we must not ignore all the other factors that make us great.  I’ve included a youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orBxCJL8N8Y  that encompasses this sense of balance more graphically that I have ever seen.  You may have already seen it, but it drives home the point that all parts of a well-defined system are no more important than another. Now, regarding my thoughts and experiences, I’ve found that answering a student’s question with another question is initially frustrating for the student, but ultimately guides them to the understanding that is the point of a lesson.  And how can I assess that my technique here is effective?  I usually use 2 barometers:  The first is visual - the look on the student’s face during that AHA moment, and the second is when the student asks a follow-up question that is richer and deeper than the first.


Regarding advise for a first year teacher:  When I began teaching, I was told “Never smile before Christmas”, but that didn’t work for me because it caused me to present a false/forced image of myself and I was very uncomfortable and quickly realized that I just had to be myself.    I learned to treat my students as fellow humans beings, in a manner that was appropriate for the grade level, while maintaining that separation between student and teacher.

As with effective teaching, there are so many things that first year teachers should know, but  I think that most important are (a) stay true to yourself, (b) be prepared for each class, (c) volunteer for stuff (d) continue to learn about mathematics and about good teaching."

If you have not seen the video, do watch the whole thing or at until 8 minutes.  It all comes together in the last minute!

Barbara Allen-Lyall, current faculty member here at Lesley and a current K-12 teacher in Connecticut, answered with the following:

"What is effective teaching? 


When content is artfully organized and creatively presented, the flow of learning allows students to naturally reach a succession of learning plateaus.  These seemingly level places are not a time for practice or mental rest, but rather an opportunity for super cognitive challenge through problem solving.   

Done right, this is also when students–not the teacher–can be heard asking the important and most interesting questions."

I have seen both Barbara and Steve teach in the graduate program and can honestly say that each time I watch them, I learn something new.  They each have very different styles, but their passion for the field and effectiveness in their teaching is evident.

What do you think of their advice?  How would you answer the question?  

More responses to follow!  Happy Friday!
Katie



No comments:

Post a Comment